Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Call To Greatness



















copyright 2009 by Stefan Bolz
(Inspired by Barrack Obama's Inauguration Speech)

The call to greatness, ever present
Lifts us up to higher ground
Calls us to our highest purpose
Freedoms' choice, no longer bound

We will meet it either trembling
Or with steady resting hand
For we cannot hide forever
From our destiny’s command

Our oath has not been broken
Our promise 's still our word
From afar, our truth has spoken
All through time has it been heard

Here I stand on ground made holy
By this ancient symphony
As I reach for my own glory
For my Father's company

There, with cold and bloodless fingers
Darkened veil, and evil sense
Grips my throat, my heart and lingers
Fear, employed for my defense

Fear of death has lost its power
And its ever present threat
It is not the great deceiver
But my greatness that I dread

Should I dare to leave my smallness
And my littleness behind
Should I forfeit my own blindness
For a vision that is kind

And then one day, maybe not this day
And maybe not even tomorrow
But one day, I know it for sure, my friend
We will exchange joy for our sorrow

That day will come and it will be the day
When we take a deep breath
And we pick ourselves up
And we dust ourselves off

And with outstretched fingers
We touch the face of God

1 comment:

ameromania said...

Beautifully stated ... a rhyme for our time ...