Friday, September 23, 2011

I pray but to myself

For You would never leave me comfortless
For You but give it all to all
But I cannot accept Your gentle touch

My fear of You forbids me to accept
Your everlasting love
My belief in my own littleness
dictates the little that I will receive

I pray but to myself
For You give everything and always
There are no limits to Your love except my own

I pray but to myself
For You would not want me to suffer pain
Or loss of any kind

And so I pray to what I made of you, an image that I hold
To substitute Your magnitude for things that last
Only an instant and that leave
Me with less than nothing to behold

 All this I pray to while Your love 
Surrounds me in an everlasting light
so vast and unimaginable 
I can only shut the door to You 
And ask for scraps when what You offer to me
Is Yourself
Your glorious Self, Your peace and stillness deep
Your comfort and Your everlasting arms

And so I pray until one day 
I realize that I have everything I want
And ever wanted 
And then prayer can become
What it has always been, a song

Of love between
Creation and Creator
Lover and Beloved
You and me

No comments: